Saturday, December 8, 2007

Here... and Now

Freedom was the first word. It passed through my lips and was gone as swiftly. Every thought but a link in the chain of moments. Here is static and safe, and I understand the long, lonely nights so many pass, shared only with images projected on a screen in the dark. Four a.m. The street sweepers power past my window. I imagine a moment when the whole world might agree to sleep. Maybe we all just need a nap. Here. In this static time and empty space, I sleep. Freedom; just a pleasant dream to which I can return.

Living in the moment is such a difficult thing to do. Thoughts race through the mind, attaching themselves to emotions and seeking to explain away the mystery of existence. A life spent in comparisons, seeking to be something, wishing something hadn't been, trying to change the course of events and frustrated that, despite all efforts, we control nothing. I am this way because: Because I choose to be, on the basis of this moment. Nothing else is real.

And then the thoughts begin again. Wondering what it means, how to use it, how to explain it and I find myself, once again, living in the future. Imagining all the grand things that could happen if only I could learn to explain the thing I just lost. An endless cycle. Now. It passes so quickly yet never falls behind.

1 comment:

Greg Hancock said...

Life is experienced in these moments, in the now. If we are too focused on getting through our daily to do lists, intent on ‘doing’ as opposed to ‘being', life has a way of slipping by us. We are too busy to notice opportunity, to see and experience life before us. It is the unexpected moments that bring us synchronistic opportunities.