Saturday, December 15, 2007

Ripples On Water

A pebble casually tossed upon the surface. Thrown just right, it skims across before sinking into the depths, but even the smallest stone still leaves a momentary imprint. While some have tried to build themselves into small mountains that will remain for all to see, I have been content to see how many times I can bounce towards the horizon before submitting. Just to see how far I can go. Though the ripples will fade, a few will remember my journey.

Reincarnation happens on many levels. Like the skipping of the stone, people reinvent themselves with every jump. Ernest Becker outlined a very convincing argument that the prime motivating factor in a person's life is the fear or denial of death. More precisely, the fear of insignificance at the point of dying. Thus many pebbles spend their energy in the first jump, trying to gain enough height for all to see then hit the water hard and sink into the sea.

Who is to say which pebble was tossed more wisely as they all lay at the bottom of the ocean, enjoying the same fate. I looked at the mountains one day, wondering why they awed me so and why I felt comforted by them. After a moment, it occurred to me. Because they exist, I don't have to be a mountain. I am thankful that not so much is expected of me.

1 comment:

Greg Hancock said...

I like that... my fear was to end up like that young fellow in Beneath the Wheel by Herman Hesse. I'm no longer that young kid that so much was expected of and who tried to save everyone else.